Every 15 Minutes: Drunk Driving & Canyon Ridge
“Every 15 Minutes” refers to the statistic that a person is killed in an alcohol-related collision every 15 minutes in the United State
This wednesday I was able to help with the Canyon Ridge "every 15 minutes" program. Fourteen kids were selected and the Grimm Reaper collected them in their classroom where there obituaries were read. This is quite an effect on these kids.
They are taken and paint their faces and put on hoods. They can not talk to any other kids that day except the other "dead" kids.
That night they go to a hotel and the police and coroner tell them of experiences they have seen in this area. The kids then have to write their last letter telling their parents good bye.
The impact this program has, not only on the students, but everyone involved is dramatic and emotional.
1. Screen-free rooms: After a long day of using your smartphone and computer, it can feel amazing to come home and take a technology break. More and more, homeowners are creating specific screen-free rooms-perhaps a library, craft room, or listening room-where you can escape from technology for a while.
2. Upholstered headboards: What if you could feel like you were sleeping in a luxury hotel bed every night? The bedding and mattress are an important part of that experience, but so is the aesthetic and comfort of an upholstered headboard.
3. Earth tones: Natural colors have become increasingly popular, especially deep greens. It's a great way to bring some of nature's colors indoors, whether as an accent wall, in blankets and pillows, or for furniture.
4. Black stainless steel: If you want a sleek, contemporary kitchen, black stainless steel is even more of a statement than traditional stainless steel.
5. Patterned fabrics: While solid upholstery will never go out of style, patterns have become trendy of late. It's an easy way to make a bold, eye-catching statement in your living space.
Three ways to ease your fears about making a move
With low inventory in many markets throughout the country, many homeowners are afraid to sell their homes because they're concerned that they may not be able to find a new one. This can be a real problem, but if you are seeking to sell-whether to upgrade or find a new neighborhood-there are a few ways to combat the low inventory.
Look to buy first
In most markets it is a real mistake to put your home up for sale before you start looking for your new property. Identify the geographic area where you are interested in buying. Even if you don't see anything on Zillow, it doesn't mean you can't or won't find the right home.
Think outside the box
Be proactive! Keep in mind that there are probably many people like you who want to make a move but are afraid as well. Have your real estate agent send a letter to the neighborhoods in the geographic areas where you want to live. The letter should be heartfelt and personal while announcing that you are ready to buy a home in that neighborhood. You could find a home to buy that may not even be currently listed or for sale.
Protect yourself legally
Each state varies in how the purchase process is conducted. Talk to your real estate professional about adding a clause in the purchase contract for the home you are selling that will enable you to not sell the home if you cannot find a suitable home to buy.
At the end of the process, the title company issues a title opinion. This is a legal document that states that the title is valid. The title opinion is part of obtaining title insurance. The insurance protects both the owner and the lender if there is a title dispute. If another party is actually the rightful owner of the home, your title insurance protects you from financial loss.
In addition to title opinions and title insurance, title companies also handle escrow accounts and distribute money to the appropriate parties at closing. They'll also deliver closing documents to the appropriate agencies.
Paint or replace an exterior door: If you know the correct dimensions and specifications for a replacement door, replacing an exterior door is a quick and easy job. That's even more true if you're repainting it. Preparation and a few coats of paint will only take a few hours.
Plant some low-maintenance trees: Young evergreen trees are relatively simple to plant, and after some heavy watering in the first few weeks, they're very easy to maintain. They'll add some color and texture to your landscaping, instantly improving curb appeal.
New light fixtures: Whether they're on the interior or exterior of your home, something as subtle as light textures can have a dramatic effect. Swapping out traditional fixtures for something modern or industrial can completely transform a room.
New hardware: Drawer pulls and door knobs are easy to change out, and like light fixtures, they have a big impact. You'd be amazed how your kitchen or bathroom could look with new hardware.